What is prediabetes?
Prediabetes is present when blood glucose levels are higher than normal blood glucose levels but have not reached diabetic levels. After a while, without preventative action, type 2 diabetes develops. From
- Prediabetes is also termed 'at risk of diabetes' or 'borderline' diabetes.
- HbA1c 42-48mmol/mol (6.0-6.5%) is 'pre-diabetes' or 'at risk of diabetes'.
- (or 42-53mmol/mol (6.0-7.0%)
If you have prediabetes
A healthy lifestyle, as for diabetes, will help to prevent or delay diabetes. See.
- losing weight if overweight
- 2 hours exercise a day if overweight
- at least 1 hours exercise a day if not overweight
- a healthy diet
Treatment has been shown to be helpful, Lancet 2012.
Diabetic retinopathy can develop in pre-diabetes, occuring in 20%. It is related to the combination of prediabetes and a low grade inflammation (RANTES).