- What is diabetes education
- DAFNE in brief
- Structured diabetes education programs for patients with type 2 diabetes
- Diabetes UK support helpline 0345 123 2399,
- email firstname.lastname@example.org
Diabetes education & Related
Controlling diabetes is a big challenge if you want to achieve good control. Controlling it easier if we know all about the conditin, what to do is something goes wrong, and how to adjust their insulin is they use it.
|Diabetes education courses|
Diabetes education courses teach people how to achieve food control.
'SEDRIC' : Support & Education for type 1 Diabetes Requiring Insulin adjustment & Carb counting'.
For patients with type 2 diabetes there are several 'structured diabetes education programs. Formerly, these included DESMOND for newly diagnosed patients, or for long-standing type 2 patients, the XPERT program was very helpful.
The programs help
- to build relationships
- help to develop mutual agendas & work out what their targets are
- help to work together
- discuss the importance of control
- and build confidence.
Diabetes education courses can be very helpful
DAFNE stands for Dose Adjustment For Normal Eating.
DAFNE is a way of managing Type 1 diabetes helps people estimate the carbohydrate in each meal and to inject the right dose of insulin etc.
improvement in HbA1c after attending a DAFNE program
Many people have benefitted tremendously, see "The DAFNE course absolutely blew me away".
- these programs are available from all diabetes teams
- You learn about diabetes, weight management, and glucose control. You learn from others, they learn from you, and you learn to take control of your diabetes.
- for example, 6 x 2.5 hour sessions over a few weeks. Some courses may be in the evening.
- type 2 DESMOND (type 2 at diagnosis)
- type 2 later type 2 xperthealth.org.uk/programmes/
If you are diabetic and want good diabetic control, insist you can attend one of these education programs. Find a course and ask if your GP if you can attend.